Wednesday 19 September 2012

Moustache Milk and Cookie Bar

Today, I'm going to blog about a very exciting little shop that opened in the CBD last week!

There's this bandwagon called "returning to our roots" many people seem to be unable to resist jumping on. It could be really simple things like family picnics or more challenging DIY activities. You know, the sort of activities that most of us Internet obsessed generation would think it's something the older generation would do.

New Zealand's dairy products are world famous. There are many who buy milk powder for export because our milk is just so damn good. Well, at least that's what I heard from overseas. I think living and growing up in NZ has caused me to lose touch with milk. But what I can vouch for is the chocolate brand Whittaker's. It's probably the most delicious chocolate that I can eat all the time without getting sick of it.

So what's a better idea than to put some of the finest products of New Zealand together and let customers return to the good ol' days? That's exactly what Moustache has done! 

Pretty cute logo, right?!


First I got wind of it, I was so excited. The excitement is questionable since I almost NEVER drink milk and hardly ever eat cookies, but I was still a bit too excited about it. So on the night before Moustache opened for the first time, I went on Facebook and begged for friends sent an invitation to meet me for milk and cookies. Our plan was to meet at 9am since I had back to back classes from 10 and then work, it was my only available time! You don't know how much this means... it takes a lot for me to give up my precious sleep time. But doesn't matter, I was still late since I had trouble getting out of bed. However, being late didn't stop me in my tracks when I got close enough to see their shop sign!

Welcome to Moustache!!! Just like the good ol' days~!

Entrance to Moustache! My friends wanted to close the door and stand behind it to take a picture so the moustache would "fit" on her face. But we refrained because the Moustache staff probably wouldn't have been too impressed.


I was so excited about it and so were a LOT of other people as the line extended out the door! Clearly the Moustache marketing team did a great job! So what can you order? Moustache has a variety of cookies and milk comes in three flavours - plain, chocolate and strawberry. If you're too cool for milk, there's a barista and a $10,000 coffee machine (so I heard, maybe someone can confirm) on site so you order your hot beverages the way you want. Oh and also, there's the option of milkshakes! According to their Tumblr page, they prefer not to use syrup in their milkshakes and instead "rely on using the most premium ice cream to give the flavouring to the milkshake".

I ordered a chocolate chip cookie and a cup of plain milk - "dunkie milk". If you don't like chocolate chip cookies, that's ok... you can order others such as black forest, peanut butter, oreo marshmellow, m&m's... I saw quite a few containers but I can't remember them all!

My chocolate chip cookie - those are definitely Whittaker's chocolate!

My dunkie milk container - bit disappointed they didn't serve it in those adorable milk bottles!

The shop is a bit cramped and small, but the decor is absolutely gorgeous. It's cute and funky! My friends and I camped around the end of the shop to munch on our cookies.

The shop from the inside looking out. Can you see the logo on the cups?!


Closer look at the ceiling decorations.

What's better than great products and cute design? Awesome customer service. Moustache staff are so nice! Excited and I think a bit nervous for their first day...

Pouring milk?

If you look behind her, there's that blackboard with chalk on it kind of thing... that's the drink menu! Dunking milk, milkshakes, coffee, tea, and Whittaker's hot chocolate! I'm going to have to go back and try that Whittaker's hot chocolate.

The cubbie holes behind her. Cute!

My friend took a picture of her cookie bag.

Annnnd generous gift to the first 300 customers!

Shop window! Too adorable.

I didn't even notice the shop window until I left! I was pleasantly surprised. =) Moustache is open Monday to Saturday 10am-6pm at 12 Wellesley St West, Auckland CBD. But if I were you, I'd head in early in the day. They've sold out every day they've been open way before closing!

Follow Moustache on Facebook, Tumblr and Twitter!

No comments: